Thursday, July 12, 2012

Birthday Wishes of a 30-Something Year Old

It's my birthday! It's my birthday! It's my birthday!

I'm pretty excited about it.

That's right, little me, party down!

I love my birthday. On the first day of July, I flip the calendar page, smile, and say, "Only twelve days til my birthday!" It's not that I'm stoked that I'm a year older, although, you can't really have a birthday without aging another year. It's a Catch-22. My birthdays are celebrated pretty much the same way every year. With the exception of my epic 30th birthday party, my birthdays are quietly celebrated at home with family and a friend or two. When I was a kid, I got to plan out every detail of the day and my parents and sisters had to play along. Oh, the power! I'd wake up to a special breakfast, spend the day with my family doing activities of my choosing, open some presents, eat a special dinner, and then get a birthday cake. The birthday cake was and still is my favorite part of my birthday. Not because I love cake, but because of the birthday candles on my cake. I believe in the magic of birthday wishes. I believe so intensely in the power of the birthday wish that I plan out my wish several days, even weeks, before my birthday. I've done this every birthday for as long as I can remember.



From my Epic 30th Birthday Party.
I had a red solo cup of booze in my hand all night
which lead to my four day hangover.


Because you only get one birthday a year, you have to take this seriously. Birthday wishes need to be specific, yet concise, so you can list them off in your head before the candles melt all over the icing roses. Some people just blow the candles out right after the birthday song ends. They don't close their eyes for a moment. They don't try to get them out in one blow. They just blow out the candles and dig into the cake. I've seen people blow out their candles in the middle of the song. I just look at them in disgust.
There's no way you had enough time to make a wish. I mean, a GOOD wish. You just blew out the candles like it was no big deal. You just wasted a golden opportunity, you fool. No! That's unacceptable. Relight the candles and make a damn wish!
I know this makes me seem a bit crazy to some people. I know that not all birthday wishes come true. But, think of it this way: You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. Birthday wishes won't come true if you don't wish them.


My First Birthday Wish
See the concentration?!


As I was planning out my wishes for this, my 30-somethingth birthday, I took a moment to think back on all the birthday wishes I've made in my lifetime. My childhood birthday wishes were pretty simple and involved getting a new Barbie Doll. The wishes I made in my teenage years were more crucial. I wished for very important things that I truly believed would change my life and bring ultimate happiness. I still wish for very important things that I truly believe will change my life and bring ultimate happiness, but it's funny how my wishes have changed now that I'm an adult.

My Teen Birthday Wishes vs. My 30-Something Birthday Wishes

Teen: I wish for big boobs.
30-Something: I wish for perky boobs.

Teen: I wish for lots of cool clothes.
30-Something: I wish for less laundry.

Teen: I wish for a later curfew.
30-Something: I wish for an earlier bedtime.

Teen: I wish for clear skin.
30-Something: I wish for less chin hair. (Yeah, I said it.)

Teen: I wish for a super fast sports car.
30-Something: I wish for a fuel efficient, family sedan with extra cup holders and more trunk space.

Teen: I wish for more bills in my pocket so I can go shopping.
30-Something: I wish for less bills in my mailbox.

Teen: I wish I can go to Panama City Beach for Spring Break this year.
30-Something: I wish I can go to a secluded beach as far away from other people as possible.

Teen: I wish for an Old Navy gift certificate.
30-Something: I wish for a Home Depot gift certificate.

Teen: I wish for world peace.
30-Something: I wish for a moment of peace.

Teen: I wish I could go on a date with Johnny Depp.
30-Something: I wish... ahem... moving on.

Teen: I wish my parents would let me dye my hair pink.
30-Something: I wish for less grey and more time between root touch ups.

Teen: I wish I could get on the cast of MTV's The Real World.
30-Something: I wish my neighbors would move.

Teen: I wish that cute boys would ask me out on dates.
30-Something: I wish I could get a date night with The Hub.

Teen: I wish I could go to night clubs and bust some sweet moves on the dance floor.
30-Something: I wish for new hardwood floors for my living room.

Teen: I wish I was a famous actress.
30-Something: I wish I was a best selling author. 

Teen: I wish I was popular.
30-Something: I wish my blog was popular. (Somethings never change...)


See, that's how it's done, folks.



22 comments:

  1. Awe! Love it! And I'm totally with you on the wish thing - it's serious business! You've obviously done a great job with all your wishes and I hope many more come true! Hope it's your best birthday yet! And hope I get to see you atleast by your 35th! Luvs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Heather,
      Thank you so much! I hope to see you before my 35th... er... 30-somethingth birthday!
      Love,
      Terese

      Delete
  2. I just wanted to say I am glad I was there for your epic 30th birthday party! The ghost house, all the BBQ and playing pool and poker with friends was amazing! It will be hard to top that for your 40th! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Winnie,
      It was an epic birthday - from what I remember! I'm glad you were there, too!! I think a 40th epic birthday party sounds like a great idea... by that time, my liver should be back in working order.
      Love,
      Terese

      Delete
  3. Fellow 7/12er..Happy Birthday my friend! Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear J-Dog,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!! 7/12 is the best day ever and I'm glad I share it with you!
    Love,
    T-Bone

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still wish for a date with Johnny Depp, too. Lolz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jess,
    Tell you what - if I get a date, I'll bring you with me. (I'm pretty sure all I would be able to do is drool and giggle whenever he said anything. Yes, I would be that silly girl.) Deal?
    Love,
    Terese

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I join too? Foursome... Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Winnie,
      Why not? The more the merrier!
      Love,
      Terese

      Delete
  8. For your birthday I wish you more love and happiness than you already have. Wow, that will be a lot of love and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aunt Anne,
      I love you! Thank you for that beautiful wish... that is a lot of love and happiness!
      Love,
      Terese

      P.S. Did you get drunk in my honor? I did!

      Delete
  9. I LOVE the first birthday picture - you do look very intense! I remember your 30th birthday party because, before the alcohol kicked in, we had a nice long hug and a good cry because I was getting ready to go away. Now I'm about to turn 30, and I'll definitely make sure to have my wish list ready for when it's my turn to blow out the candles! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Diana,
      I remember that! You gave me two (very powerful) books and a card that made me cry my eyes out. I'm glad you didn't stay away too long.
      Proper wish preparation is key... there's a lot of pressure when facing all those lit candles and you don't want to flub the big 3-0 wish. That sets you up for a whole decade!
      Love you back!
      Terese

      Delete
  10. Great blog, Terese. It took me back to Knox, PA, when birthdays were a week long. Enjoy OUR special day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom? Is that you??

      I think it is...

      I love you back!
      Love,
      Terese

      Delete
  11. Happy belated birthday to you! I love all your birthday wishes - they look similar to mine! LOL! Especially that Johnny Depp one... wait.

    Hope you had a great day! Enjoy your weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jennifer,
      Thank you so much!!! I had a lovely birthday. Unfortunately, the Johnny Depp wish did not come true, so I'll have to try again next year. ;-)

      Thank you for reading!!! :)

      Love,
      Terese

      Delete
  12. These are pretty funny and happy birthday wishes!
    I like them, very witty and clever.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy happy birthday! May most all your wishes come true!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Which reminds me - I need to bring a wishbone with me to your party on Sunday, July 21st. We never stopped the week-long tradition. It just got interrupted by jobs and school. Enjoy your birthday, Sweetie! As each year goes by, I love and appreciate you that much more. Mom

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of this post. Leaving a comment for a blogger is like tossing a buck in a tip jar.